Happy Labour Day to all my fellow Victorians! I hope you got the chance to relax and do something you love. I got to make my recipes and post to my blog which I love doing, as well as catch up with friends.
Today’s recipe came about from a need to come up with a quick and easy dinner that is perfect for when you are time poor, but not willing to compromise on nutrition and quality ingredients.
This Vegetable Frittata is packed full of goodies like protein and amino acids from the eggs, full of fiber and complex carbohydrate from the vegetables, and iron and vitamins like vitamin E and C from all the green vegetables. This combination is amazing for its immune boosting and renegerating effects on the body.
It’s a one-pot dish that takes just minutes to prepare. Put it in the oven and you can forget about it for the next forty minutes whilst you get whatever else you need to do done before settling in for the night.
It’s also the perfect meal to cook ahead of time and warm up on those nights where the train was late getting you home (a common occurrence in Melbourne!) or you just don’t have the energy to put anything together to eat.
This recipe is easily adaptable for any intolerance you have. It’s already gluten free, or just remove the feta cheese to make the recipe dairy free, it’s that simple.
- 1/2 a brown onion diced
- 1/2 cup of sliced sweet potato
- 1/2 cup of sliced zucchini
- 1/2 cup of diced kale (stems removed)
- 1/4 cup of frozen peas
- 7 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of olive oil
- 1 teaspoon of chilli flakes (optional)
- 20 grams of chopped feta
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pre-heat the oven to 140 degrees celcius.
- Heat the olive oil in a fry-pan on low heat.
- Add the onion to the pan and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the vegetables and cook for 3 minutes until slightly cooked on the outside and evenly coated. with the olive oil.
- Pour the vegetables into an ovenproof tart dish or a round pan, ensure you grease the dish first with some butter or olive oil.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl and whisk thoroughly.
- Add the chilli, salt and pepper to the egg mixture.
- Pour the egg mixture over the vegetables.
- Sprinkle the feta over the top of the frittata.
- Place in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until the egg is cooked through and the top is golden brown.
- Allow the frittata to cool slightly before cutting into slices.
- Serve with a side of salad or vegatables.
- Makes 6 slices.