This Flourless Lemon Cake recipe is super easy to prepare and throw in the oven for something a little bit special to take to your folks place for after dinner.
Moist and dense with the right amound of tartness from the lemon, this one will have your friends and family congratulating you on a job well done! Its flourless, made from almond meal instead which takes some of the guilt out of eating cake. Have another slice why don’t you!
This recipe is completely gluten and fructose free (except for the strawberries I used as a garnish) so anyone with intolerances could also enjoy this cake. The density of the almond meal and the yoghurt icing means that you’ll feel pretty satiated from one slice, and no fructose means you wont feel that energy slump an hour after indulging. Using rice malt syrup as the sweetner of choice for this one means you’ll actually have a slow release of energy assisted by the protein from the almond meal. So really no need to feel guilty about having a slice of this one!
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup of coconut cream
- 1/2 cup of olive or macadamia oil
- rind of half a lemon
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup of rice malt syrup
- 2 cups of almond meal
- 2 teaspoons of GF baking powder
- 1/2 cup of greek yoghurt
- Zest of half a lemon
- Tablespoon of rice malt syrup
- combine the oil, lemon juice and rind and coconut cream in a bowl and stir through
- add the eggs and rice malt syrup to the bowl and stir though
- add the almond meal and stir through until the batter is smooth
- pour the batter into a greased tray (use coconut oil or olive oil)
- Bake in the overn for 45 minutes at 150 degrees until the batter is cooked
- Whilst the cake is baking combine the icing ingredients in a bowl and mix until smooth
- Remove the cake from the tin once it's cooled a little
- Once the cake is out and cooled, pour the icing mixture over the cake and spread evenly
Using your own garnishes to finish off the cake. I used strawberries from my garden, but you could use lemon slices, mint leaves, anything at all! Put your own style and imagination into it!